What You Need
- wrapping paper
Follow These Steps
- Gather gift-wrapping materials Assemble your present, the wrapping paper, scissors, and tape, and then clear a large, flat surface, such as a kitchen table
- Secure fragile items within boxes Make sure that anything fragile within your box is wrapped securely and won’t move around or become damaged. (We recommend using tissue paper as padding.)Tip: Use a small piece of tape to keep the box closed.
- Measure and cut the right amount of wrapping paper for your box or gift Roll out your wrapping paper—but don’t cut it yet. Place the box or gift in the center of the unfurled paper, upside down, so the seams of the paper will end up on the bottom of the package. Bring the paper up one side and over the top of the box, all the way to the opposite edge. Estimate how much additional wrapping paper you’ll need to cover the side of the box that’s not yet covered, then cut the paper. Strive for long, even cuts; if your edge is jagged, fold it under for a smooth seam.
- Secure the paper to the box with tape Center the box on the paper. Bring one side of the paper up the side and halfway across the top, affixing it to the box with a piece of tape. (With some practice, you may be able to skip this step.)
- Fold the other side for a cleaner edge Before bringing the second side of paper up and over the first, create a clean seam by folding over the last half-inch or so of the paper, using your fingers to create a tight crease. Now bring this side up so it just overlaps the first one and affix with tape.Tip: Double-sided tape can be used for a cleaner look.
- Fold the paper on each side of the present Starting on one end, fold down the top flap onto the side of the box, creating two little wings at the side. Flatten those in against the box, then fold the remaining triangle of paper up against the box. Fasten it in place with tape.
- Stand the box up and repeat folding to the other side Set your box on end, with the side you just worked on facing down, and repeat step 6 on the opposite end.
- Add finishing touches Add any ribbon, gift tags, or decorative bows to your gift. And there you have a perfectly wraped present.